Songs of Life, Love & Laughter

Everything from kids to karaoke....these are my petty ramblings

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sleeping With Elvis


There are only two "famous" people in this world that I ever really wanted to meet when I was growing up. One was real and the other was a character. The real person was Elvis Presley. The character is better left for another blog entry.

Elvis......wow. One of my first albums was Elvis Presley sings Flaming Star. Most of those songs never made it main stream and I can probably still sing every single one of them. And movies? I prayed just about every weekend that there would be an Elvis movie on at some point.

Then it happened. Oh my gosh! I could hardly contain my excitement. My brother and I were watching "Dialing for Dollars" on WKBW-TV out of Buffalo (as we did every day after school) and the host announced that the following week was ELVIS WEEK. I thought I was going to pee my pants.

I got ready. I had ten 60 minute tapes and my little portable tape recorder. You know the one; it has an external microphone on a three foot cord. Every day during Elvis week, I rushed home in time for the movie and I set the tape recorder up so the microphone was close to the speaker and I hit record. About 30 minutes later, I heard "click" and I got up and flipped the tape. 30 minutes after that, I heard "click again and I changed the tape.....and so on. I did that all week.

Then, every night at bedtime, I would pop one of those tapes into the player and I listened to it as I fell asleep. I knew all the movies so well that when I closed my eyes, I could picture the whole movie taking place. The only difference was that I was the one in the female lead. YUM!

So, I guess I kinda had television in my bedroom before it was cool to have one.

And just think; if I had known The Perfect Man then, with my inspiration and his know-how, we may just have been the first to invent the VCR.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 24, 2007 at 11:20 p.m. , Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the memories! I used to do that every January 31 as I taped the top 500 songs.... Never listened to them that much but it was a yearly occurrance! :-)

 
At January 25, 2007 at 8:28 a.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

Ah, the top 500. Remember trying to guess what the top song was and then being amazed when it was something not worthy?

 
At January 28, 2007 at 5:11 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

I used to do the same thing with M*A*S*H episodes ... until I realized that by memorizing the episodes, they weren't actually as much fun to watch!

 
At January 29, 2007 at 8:43 a.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's possible to ruin an Elvis Presley movie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home