Songs of Life, Love & Laughter

Everything from kids to karaoke....these are my petty ramblings

Friday, January 19, 2007

Well, Bully For Them

I was flipping channels yesterday evening, killing time before I had to go out. I stopped when I got to a local news program and they were discussing three girls who had been arrested on Tuesday in New York after a video of them verbally and physically attacking another girl surfaced.

The topic of discussion was whether or not girls were getting more violent today and why. The participants said that the problem was that children in general were getting desensitized because of all the violence they see on television, at the movies and in video games.

I'm not going to comment on that theory because I have no idea if that's the problem or not. What I will say is that the director of this particular news program chose to play the violent video over and over and over again while the host was espousing his position that violence shown on television was one of the reasons our kids were desensitized enough to commit said violent acts.

The hypocrisy of it actually made me want to go out and punch someone, so I guess they were right.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 at 12:44 p.m. , Blogger Michelle said...

I'm not sure which would be worse: if the media just does not grasp what part they play in exploiting violence or if they do get it and do it anyways for ratings.

Either way it's a sad commentary on what our societal values are, isn't it?

 
At January 19, 2007 at 1:50 p.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

I think it's far worse to do something deliberately then it is to do something through stupidity. Unfortunately, I think the media is mostly guilty of both.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home