Songs of Life, Love & Laughter

Everything from kids to karaoke....these are my petty ramblings

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bradley James

My nephew passed away on Friday due to complications from a heart transplant he received the previous Wednesday. Tomorrow is his funeral and I have the impossible task of offering comfort to his mother.

BJ was 28 years old.

How do you tell a mother that there is any justification in losing her son at that age, at any age?

BJ had heart problems from the time he was a baby. His doctors kept telling, first his mother and then him, "Don't do this because you could die" and "Don't do that because you could die". When BJ got older, he told his mother that he would be happy to die a young man who had done the things he wanted to do and who had experienced life rather than die an old man who had spent his life sitting in a chair by a window.

I know that's the right attitude and I know I should be happy that he had some time to experience life and that he lived (and died) the way he wanted.

I know I should be happy. But I'm a mother too and I know Sonia is wishing for the man sitting in the chair right now.

BJ, you were loved and you will be missed!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At March 7, 2007 at 4:10 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Death is never an easy thing to deal with but somehow we do. Take care, my thoughts are with you. There will be an extra big hug for you next time we meet.

 
At March 7, 2007 at 4:16 p.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

Thanks Devlin. I'm looking forward to the extra big hug.You know me....any excuse.

 
At March 7, 2007 at 10:58 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim my heart goes out to Sonia and to you...I can't imagine(and quite frankly don't want to go there)the grief and loss she and you must be suffering with right now...you are in my thoughts, take care of yourself and draw from the strength of your family and friends hugs, Colette

 
At March 8, 2007 at 9:50 a.m. , Blogger misterque said...

My condolences to you and your family Kim. Parents are not supposed to watch their children pass. Even the miracle of of a life that survived against all odds, is small consolation.

 
At March 8, 2007 at 10:24 a.m. , Blogger Paula said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. It's always sad when someone so young loses their life. Take care.

 
At March 9, 2007 at 8:34 a.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

Colette, Hugh and Paula: Thank you for your kind words.

 
At March 14, 2007 at 1:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never enough hugs for you...

 
At November 10, 2008 at 5:23 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

 
At November 10, 2008 at 8:43 a.m. , Blogger Bernie said...

Thank you Roseanne.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home