Songs of Life, Love & Laughter

Everything from kids to karaoke....these are my petty ramblings

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mama's Magic Eyes



When I was young, it didn't matter what I did wrong in our neighbourhood, my mom found out about it. Even the simplest little thing. I'd be greeted with "Kimberly, how many times have I told you not to ......". Whenever I asked how she knew, she told me she had magic eyes and could see me wherever I was.

One of the rules I grew up with was that we always came home after school and then we could go to a friend's house to play. One day, I decided to just go to my friend's house. I felt a twinge of guilt because this was a house I didn't normally go to and it was two whole blocks away from my house....but I comforted myself with the knowledge that my mom could just use her magic eyes and find me and know I was okay.

Please believe me. I was not being smart or sarcastic or "getting back" at my mom. I was too young and hadn't yet honed that particular skill set yet. No, I truly, truly believed that my mother would know where I was.

Of course, she didn't. And she was furious with me when I walked in the door for dinner. Furious until I said those words, "But mom, why didn' t you use your magic eyes?"

And so ended the illusion. Mom fessed up. It was the neighbours who had been spilling the beans on me all along. Damn, nosy neighbours!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home